The Purpose is to provide an Association in form of a Regional Association of I.O.A. for the benefit of ostomates, run by ostomates and in full interests of all ostomates with the co-operation of outside help when required, and to represent the viewpoint of the ostomates at the regional level.
The Association is a non profit making, non political and religiously neutral organisation concerned only with the health and welfare of ostomates. It is pledged to co-operate with medical, nursing and associated professions and to work with allied organisations and corporations.
The aims of the Association are to encourage the highest possible standards of surgery, medical attention and patient after-care and to assist Member Associations to help rehabilitate ostomates to enable them to achieve the quality of life they seek in all its aspects.
The primary objectives of the Association are
(a) To distribute information and exchange experiences on all aspects of ostomy related matters through the organization and facilitation of meetings within the region.
(b) To develop and administer support programs to assist disadvantaged Ostomates within the Asia and South Pacific Region (hereinafter called “the Region”)
(c) To co-ordinate and support all efforts to develop, establish and provide basic standards in ostomy care and rehabilitation, in particular by:
(d) To maintain efficient and effective communication channels with member Associations
- c.1 collecting, evaluating and publishing as appropriate Ostomy related information.c.2 co-operating with medical and nursing associations, government health administrations and organizations in the Region,
- c.3 promoting co-operation among scientific professional groups which contribute to the advancement of ostomy welfare.
- c.4 promoting and encouraging research in the field of ostomy health
- c.5 to develop and maintain an internet website for the Association
(e) To motivate, to morally support and to promote existing and help to found new national ostomy associations, in particular for
- e.1 arranging psychological help for all ostomates in their countries by meeting of ostomates and exchanging experiences,
- e.2 working towards optimum care and rehabilitation conditions on national basis.